Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Time to Get Radical on the North Coast of Oregon

Some times it takes a radical approach and decisive action to change things for the better! Robert Kennedy once said "Some men see things as they are and say why. I dream things that never were and say why not"
So with the words of this great man in mind I think "why not?" Do we need to take some radical action to make a difference relating to our environment? I think so and especially when I think about a resource that means a lot to me because I spend so much time there.
With purely unselfish intentions in mind I would like to see these changes enacted on the rivers of the north coast of Oregon

... Close the Salmonberry, Tillamook and Miami rivers to angling for five years
... Close the Kilchis river from the end of March through the middle of November
... No bait use on any northern coast river from January 1st through March 31st and barbless hooks only
... Five fish limit per year of hen fall chinook on any Tillamook basin river
... No bait for coastal cutthroat trout anywhere in the Tillamook basin with single barbless hooks
... End or limit hatchery plants including steelhead broodstock programs
... Close inefficient hatcheries likes those on Three Rivers and Trask river
... Charge a deposit for all Styrofoam bait containers anywhere in Tillamook county
... No hatchery steelhead plants above Kansas Creek on the Wilson River
... No hatchery steelhead plants above Farmers Creek on the Nestucca
... Adopt a basin management plan that covers all rivers in the Tillamook basin
... Manage the Kilchis river for wild steelhead only

So tell me are these proposals radical? I don't think they are! I think that if we are going to have any impact and progress in saving a dwindling resource like that on the north coast then maybe these are not radical enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment