Friday, February 15, 2008

The Angry Angler

Yep, that's me apparently. I make no excuses or apologies for my scorched earth attitude concerning wild salmon and steelhead.
The way I see it is there can be no fence sitting as we watch the steady decline of the abundant wild fish we once took for granted.
I think, as I've written on this blog, that those who are in the spotlight of the fishing scene have a responsibility to the fish and to all who put these people on some sort of pedestal.
They can claim that they never sought the notoriety they now have but since they accept it and in some cases profit from it then it's time to step up and set the example but many do not.
I get angry when they don't and their undeserved influence causes their followers to take the path of least resistance when it comes to conservation.They need to be called out publically and I'm not the only one who does it.
Apathy will defeat us if we let it and we just cannot afford to let that happen besides apathy got us here in the first place didn't it?
Perhaps my methods are crude and annoying to some but how else do we motivate and educate those who do not realize the peril our wild fish are in.
My good friend says "Shane, you are too confrontational" and maybe I am but since the whole future of wild salmonids has been politicized and marginalized what other tactic is there?
Could I say "Please help wild fish...pretty please" ? Would that work or would the in your face, get involved or get the hell out of the way technique be more effective?
I've no doubt made some enemies along the way but I suppose that is inevitable and while I never wanted to make enemies I accept it as the consequence of my fervor.
I'm not in the mood to make nice as the Dixie Chicks would say because making nice does not work when the harvest mentality is being dealt with.
So as Popeye would say "I yam what I yam" and I'm not involved in helping wild salmon, trout and steelhead to make a name for myself and I'm not about to spare the spare feelings of those who are the stumbling blocks to wild salmonid recovery.
The use of the word "recovery" might be too euphemistic though. It may be more of a case of trying to staunch the hemorrhaging as much as possible but it has to be done.
So if I've offended some then really all I can say is deal with it because it's the way I am and the way I will be.
Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment