Thursday, June 25, 2009

Happy 50th Trout Unlimited


There is not another conservation organization in this country that has done more for cold water fisheries than Trout Unlimited.
Formed along the Au Sable river 50 years ago TU has made it it's mission to protect all wild trout and salmon and their influence has been felt throughout the country as they work hard for our precious resources and fisheries.
I am a proud life member of TU and when I was contemplating where to best spend my conservation dollar there was no question that it would be with Trout Unlimited.
TU is not a fly fishing club! That fact must be established in order for TU to accomplish it's conservation work. If you are looking for an organization where you stand around smoking you meerschaum pipe while sipping a fine brandy or single malt and discuss the merits of using a Light Cahills on shy browns then TU is certainly not for you. If you desire to see our coldwater fisheries survive many more generations then I urge to give us a look.
Oh sure the various chapters do have social outings where fishing is involved but the impetuous is conservation.
I think we fly anglers cannot owe enough to Trout Unlimited for the work they have done over the last 50 years. I am honored to be a member and I were my TU patch with the pride of knowing my dollars and my efforts are going to something bigger than hooking a bunch of nice trout.
Thanks TU for all you have done!

No comments:

Post a Comment